Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One man's trash is a smart women's treasure

A friend of ours recently down sized his furniture and had this beauty sitting outside on his front porch waiting to go to the dump....can you believe he was going to throw this out!! Sure it's old, dated, and slightly broken but it's just calling out for some needed love. So I promptly said hi to friend and stole his dresser before the garbage man got his hands on it:)



For this project you will need:
old beat up dresser
Sandpaper
White spray paint (Beauti-tone semi-gloass white)
Minwac English chestnut stain
polyurethane
Shop towels
wood glue (if drawer broken)
paint and stain stripper
trim
nail gun

I started by stripping the top. This took several coats of stripper. I then sanded it with 60 grit sand paper then 100 grit paper. I applied 3 coats of stain followed by 3 coats of polyurethane.

Before you do below steps cut trim to cover the bottom lip, scallops were in before but not now!

Then spray painted the whole body with white spray paint. Allow to dry thoroughly. Then apply stain to the whole thing, work in sections like front, side, and back. After you apply stain to section promptly wipe off with shop towel. Stain will darken the paint and pick up the more distressed areas. Do the same to the drawers. My drawers had a great inset in it that I left the stain in. You could wipe it out if you want to but I think it adds to it. I applied 2 coats of the stain to the body. I then got some new handles and painted them black.

And your done, easy I swear!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! When we bought this house six years ago, the former owners left an old dresser in the garage. I've just used it for garage storage, but I keep thinking with a little work it could be beautiful ... You did a great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! What a great score. I love the look of dark on top and light on bottom. Welcome to the world of blogging! You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Popping over from DIY Show Off! Love your projects! Looks fantastic!

    Welcome to the Blog World, I too am still fairly new and am trying to find my way. I have so far made some really good friends and have really enjoyed it!

    Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing more of your DIY projects! I, too, am a DIY girl - come and see me at brandinell.blogspot.com Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work! I love the dresser, it looked gorgeous before, but fits in with your other furnishings a lot better after! The stained top is my favorite part.

    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am over from DIY and I am loving your blog! I am in love with taking old things and making them new again. I have taken a break from my projects while Im in school but I am itching to get back to it. Right now I am on the hunt for some brass lamps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Love your dresser and headboard, thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. From DIY show off! Beautiful projects you've done - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete